Smart shopping for the spring breaker

Fashion Advice to Live by: “There is nothing more miserable in the world than to arrive in paradise and look like your passport photo” – Erma Bombeck

Spring break is right around the corner, and students around the country are anxiously awaiting that one week of freedom from the day to day responsibilities of being a student, tutor, cashier, or babysitter. During that week, it’s still important to remember to follow our fashion instincts. For many, this means a trip to the mall to grab some must-haves for exotic trips.

Yet, I know one thing for certain. I will not spend hundreds of dollars on clothes and accessories for my one week in paradise. I’m setting my sights on stores such as Target, Nordstrom Rack, department stores, and similar places with the best deals.

Target is my go-to place for cute and affordable clothes. At least for swimwear, no other store offers such an extensive and reasonable selection. Target offers a plethora of options, and I even managed to score a deep blue two-piece, a lacy, baby blue two-piece, and a few others. None of my finds cost me more than $20 either!

However, the bargains do not stop there. I happened to find several tops all under $20: an array of patterns including a lace tank, a grey and white tie-dyed crop top, and of course: a few black loose tanks and tees to pair with denim shorts. These shirts are perfect because brighter colors ease the transition from the darker tones of winter to a bold, summer-color pallet. But the spring break extravaganza does not have to end in the clothing department.

For instance, we all have our pair of treasured sunglasses that must remain untarnished and sand-free, but a pair to toss on for a day at the pool is an absolute necessity. Never spend more than $20 on your back-up sunglasses- that way you won’t feel as guilty if you happen to lose them while you’re out and about! At Target, I also found a perfect pair of low-cost, black, square-frame glasses and also grabbed a tote on sale for $10.

My experience can easily be yours too. Here are a few important tips to remember when preparing for spring break shopping:

1. Stick to a budget. Bring less money than you can afford to spend. You will have left-over money for forgotten, last-minute purchases without dipping into your saving funds for the trip.
  2. Don’t go crazy on finding name-brand clothing- it will save you tons of cash and will ease the stress if a suitcase gets lost or if clothes get left behind.
  3. Before heading to your usual stores, try some alternatives that sell clothes at lower prices. Many department stores carry last year’s swimwear at more affordable prices and carry many of this year’s trendy styles.

After a tour around some of Target’s trendy selections, it’s time to head out and cure the unbearable itch for spring break. You will also have peace of mind knowing you will still have money left over to do a little shopping upon your arrival at your spring break destination.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Smart shopping for the spring breaker”

1. Natalie Mitchell on March 9th, 2014 9:43 pm

I love nordstrom rack and target… the stuff there is so trendy 🙂

[Reply]

2. Hannah Novak on March 11th, 2014 9:10 pm

Plato’s Closet is a resale place where you can sell your old clothes and get money to buy new ones – they have a ton of cute summer dresses out already!

[Reply]

3. Hannah McCloud on March 12th, 2014 11:43 am

I just recently went to the Chicago Premium Outlets for clothes and they have a ton of really great sales, especially for stores that are typically more expensive. Nordstrom rack is fantastic as well as the clearance section of plenty of websites that are getting rid of the winter season selection.

[Reply]

4. Maggie McQuaid on March 12th, 2014 10:09 pm

Last year I bought a pair of Marc Jacobs sunglasses from Nordstrom Rack, and they have become my favorite accessory that I own! I think I only paid $40 for a $200 pair of sunglasses! It doesnt get much better!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Featured Stories

The Breakdown with Michael Nerud Ep. 10

• Featured Stories

Xilin festival lights up the night (Video)

• Smart shopping for the spring breaker

Featured Stories

Unsubstantiated threats plague NNHS, NCHS

• Smart shopping for the spring breaker

Featured Stories

Photo-slider: Senior “Glo-ups”

• Smart shopping for the spring breaker

Edtiorials/Columns

Prepared for the perfect prom

• Smart shopping for the spring breaker

Featured Stories

The next level

• Smart shopping for the spring breaker

Featured Stories

North Star staff has golden year

• Smart shopping for the spring breaker

Featured Stories

Not so sweet dreams

• Smart shopping for the spring breaker

Featured Stories

The Breakdown with Michael Nerud Ep.9

• Smart shopping for the spring breaker

Featured Stories

Photoslider: Naperville North alum Barnett honored at NN vs Benet Academy volleyball game

Smart shopping for the spring breaker