How to curb your case of senioritis

It’s a disease that the senior class catches every year: senioritis. With graduation quickly approaching, I too find myself faltering. In fact, even sitting down to write this blog was a struggle. While many students already know their plans for this upcoming fall, it is still important to stay focused and finish the semester strong. And yes, it’s much easier said than done. But after fighting this constant battle, I discovered a few tips and tricks to help me stay on track.

1. Among the stack of papers we shuffle through at registration, we always receive an assignment notebook. And let’s face it: we usually toss it into the back of our lockers. Here, it sits idle for the rest of the year. But this year, I decided to take control and actually open the book for once. By writing down all my assignments, it was easier to keep track of due dates. It reminds me of what I need to accomplish.
  2. After four years of high school, my motivation to do anything school-related has  plummeted. As assignments pile up, my stress level rises, and I usually end up not even opening my backpack. Now, I put a pause on my senioritis and finish my work as soon as it is assigned. The longer I put off tasks, the less likely I am to complete them.
  3. Everyone tells you that senior year will be your “blow-off” year, but I have found the exact opposite. Senior year can be very busy, especially second semester. It is filled with extracurricular activities and many exciting senior events. All these fun commitments take up time that I have always set aside for homework. Now, I am more creative with my schedule. I dedicate any extra time to keeping my grades afloat. Lunch, study hall and other free periods provide the perfect opportunity to either waste time on Pinterest for 50 minutes or tackle that three-page essay due next period. Having no effort to do anything school-related after 3 p.m., I find that completing homework assignments during my lunch period is the ultimate de-stresser.
  4. Having been a student athlete throughout high school, I’ve noticed that my work ethic actually improves when I have less time. As my schedule opens up, I tend to procrastinate more. By remaining active throughout the day, I can defeat numerous challenges because I am forced to plan ahead and work efficiently.
  5. Everything is easier to do when you are not alone, especially staying on track in school. Having a friend or parent create a “to-do” list for you can help motivate you to stay on track, especially knowing that you are going to be held accountable for not sticking to your word.

As my senioritis is jump starting and I’m finding it difficult to finish these last few sentences, keep in mind these tips when your motivation starts to dwindle. With less than a month of school left, it is important to stay on course and these tips will undoubtedly help you to do so.