Howard to be principal at Lisle High School

This school year will mark assistant principal Jeff Howard’s last at Naperville North High School. Howard said he will be the principal of Lisle High School starting in the 2014-2015 school year.

Howard said he is looking forward to transitioning into his new position.

“Lisle is a much smaller high school, and I’m looking forward to the community feeling that a smaller high school can bring,” Howard said.

According to Principal Kevin Pobst, the job opening left by Howard’s absence was posted by the district on March 24. This announcement began the hiring process.

Potential job candidates will go through a series of interviews. Initial interviews will be held at the district level with Pobst present. Then, Pobst said the district will recommend about five to six candidates to be interviewed by a group of NNHS staff.

The NNHS committee will then choose a final candidate, whom they will recommend the district hire.

According to Pobst, this candidate is expected to be chosen in early May, but the district probably won’t act until late May in officially hiring someone.

“One of the things [the new assistant principal] needs to be is both persistent and diplomatic,” Pobst said. “He has to balance a lot of personalities and interests.”

In addition to these traits, Pobst is looking for one who is as passionate about the job and the students as Howard.

“[Howard] is very much a student; he’s continually learning, and he particularly has a passion for curriculum and instruction,” said Pobst. “He’s deeply passionate about high school public education, and he cares very, very much about students.”

Howard has worked at NNHS for five years as assistant principal. He plans to carry what he has learned at NNHS to his new position at Lisle High School.

“While being a smaller school, Lisle is similar to North in its demographic distribution. I think some of the same problems that exist here, exist there. Focusing on common core, standard based learning, [and] literacy development are all things that we’ve done here a great deal and will go there too,” Howard said.