NNHS Tennis courts under construction

Photo by Maxie Oasay
The current reconstruction process of the Naperville North tennis courts.

The Naperville North tennis courts are being redone for the first time since their original installment in the 1970s.

With the reconstruction of the courts, many students, specifically seniors, believe that the timing of the construction is a burden when coming to school. Senior Cecilia Lu explains how having to find parking with a late arrival makes the parking situation more difficult and frustrating to deal with.

“I have a late arrival which means I won’t always find parking at the NPAC. It’s convenient for me to park at the tennis courts but lately, I have not been able to do that. I have to go all the way to the athletic lot and move my car [to the NPAC] every time,” Lu said.

The courts, which were in disrepair, are being renovated during the boys tennis season. Senior varsity tennis player John Harvey believes, while inconvenient, the new and improved tennis courts will be worth the wait.

“It’s definitely something that the courts need and it’s good overall for the tennis program,” Harvey said.

A weak foundation under the concrete led to cracking, causing the courts to show signs of wear for several years. Before the recent overhaul, the cracking was temporarily covered several times by additional layers of concrete. However, due to the structure’s underlying foundational issues, new cracks would always form. Construction began on April 1. The school has ripped up the old foundation and is planning to complete the full renovation process by early August. Having noticed the courts’ deterioration, Naperville North’s Athletic Director Bob Quinn has been a proponent of the complete refurbishment.

“It’s been in the book, we needed it for a number of years and we were finally approved for it to happen…We certainly knew we had an issue with them…they were a mess and it was time for them to be redone,” Quinn said.

In the meantime, the boys tennis teams are practicing and playing their games at Nike Sports Complex. Senior varsity tennis player Alex Maitland describes how the team has adjusted to the change in preparation for their season.

“We’re planning to have our matches there for the rest of the season. We will be taking the Huskie bus for kids who can’t drive themselves, some of the seniors will drive [the rest of the players who can’t fit on the bus],” Maitland said.

Despite the change of scenery, Harvey summarizes his thoughts about what the adjustment has done for the team, especially for the seniors’ last season.

“For our seniors, this is their [last] season. We have a lot of home meets for varsity this year and it’s [unfortunate] we won’t have our home tennis courts to play on. However…the team has really come together,” Harvey said.