Column: Starting a club is easier than you think

Naperville North student participates in Yoga Club, one of the schools newest activities

Photo by Kacie Morris

Naperville North student participates in Yoga Club, one of the school’s newest activities

Since freshman year, I have felt unbelievable pressure to be involved at school. I was told that having a “well-rounded” resume would get me into the best colleges, get me special recognition and the coveted cord at graduation. In our community, involvement is often described as the ability to build new relationships with peers and teachers, all while gaining valuable work and life experience. While these benefits sounded appealing at first, getting involved quickly became to be a mandatory task rather than a truly beneficial opportunity. 

There are over 90 clubs at Naperville North. American Sign Language, Youth and Government Club, Theater Club and Asian American, just to name a few. The vast selection aims to provide a place for everyone, however, when it came time for me to choose, very few of these activities seemed right for me. I wasn’t sure where I’d fit in or if I would really enjoy any of them.. This struggle was always in the back of my mind, and I knew it wasn’t just me. 

As a senior, I decided to take matters into my own hands and start my own club, something not only that fit my schedule, but my personality. While many students may not be aware of this option, I am here to tell you it’s  certainly possible and much easier than you may think. Any student at Naperville North can start their own club by following these easy steps: 

Find your passion. 

I decided to start the Yoga and Mindfulness Club at Naperville North. For me and my co-founders, we knew right away it was something that many people would enjoy, but was previously missing from our school. I wanted a place outside of athletic commitments to focus on my body and mind. I also wanted to give myself and others the opportunity to stretch and strengthen themselves physically as well as learn more about mindfulness and meditation. You can pick any school-appropriate activity that you enjoy and think would be a great addition to Naperville North. Make sure it is something you feel passionate about!

Find a sponsor

Every club at North requires an adult sponsor. Find a teacher or coach who you believe would enjoy your activity and would be willing to get involved. Being involved in a club should be just as fun for your sponsor as it is for you, so don’t be afraid to ask. A sponsor will help you obtain and complete the New Club Request Form. Details such as a description of the club and plans for meetings are required prior to submitting an application.

Get some signatures

Your club needs members! 15 signatures are required from students who would like to sign up to show the administration that there is interest in your club. If you think the club is a good idea, some of your peers likely will too, which makes finding signatures easy. All it takes is a lap around the lunch room or a crowded hallway during a passing period to find enough people who are interested in joining. 

Apply

Drop off your paperwork and signatures at the Student Activities Office within the first two weeks of the semester and you are done! Keep in mind that it takes about two weeks to formally get your club approved. In the meantime, promote the club! To promote Yoga Club, I created an Instagram account and made flyers for the school. Don’t count out word of mouth as well! Getting people talking about your club is a great way to spread the word. 

Start your club and have fun! 

Congratulations! You have officially founded your own club. Now, you get to enjoy doing the activity you love while still getting all the benefits of being involved at school.

School involvement does not have to be a burden-; nor should it be. Naperville North has a place for everyone and is constantly growing to include more opportunities for students. Join a club or start your own- either way the outcome is the same. You get the opportunity to learn something new and build valuable relationships that will make your time in high school all the more enjoyable.