Power outage sends NNHS students home early

Tuesday afternoon, Naperville North school officials dismissed overjoyed students early after a power outage lasting 90 minutes.

The power outage lasted from 12:13 p.m. to 1:43 p.m. affecting lights, internet and phones. Two minutes before the early dismissal, the lights flickered back on, causing a building-wide groan, but an administrator went on the public address to say the early dismissal would proceed.

Sophomore Maggie Salter was in her math class when the power came back on. She said students were momentarily worried they would have to finish the full school day.

“Everyone was screaming and was really upset but we were still able to leave,” Salter said.

District 203 sent out a Talk 203 email to parents and teachers to inform them that school was ending early at NNHS.

Due to the continuing power outage at North, students riding the bus will be dismissed at 1:45 pm,” the email said. “All others will be dismissed at 1:55. All after school activities are canceled for today. A decision about the boy’s basketball game will be announced in a subsequent email.”

The Naperville CUSD 203 Twitter account tweeted “Power is out at Naperville North and some surrounding areas. Phones are also affected. Students are being supervised. More information will be shared as it’s available from the city of Naperville.”

In 2011, NNHS students were sent home for a similar power outage.

This story will be updated if new information becomes available.

About the Contributors
Julia Donofrio, Editor-in-Chief

This is Julia’s third year on The North Star staff and her first year as Editor in Chief. She is excited to learn more journalistic and leadership skills this year to prepare her to major in journalism in college. In addition to The North Star, Julia loves to dance and is the Vice President of Orchesis and a member of the Varsity Dance Team.

Audrey Iocca, Managing Editor

Audrey is a senior starting her second year on The North Star, and her first year as Managing Editor. She is looking forward to gaining valuable management and leadership skills, as well as journalistic experience for her future career. She loves the creative arts and is the Executive Editor of Vertigo Literary Magazine, and Vice President of Symphonic Orchestra Council.

Maddie Krebs, Multimedia Managing Editor

Maddie is a senior who is very excited to return to The North Star and work as Multimedia Managing Editor. She is eager to venture further into the world of multimedia both behind the camera and in front of it as an anchor to prepare her for a future in journalism in college and beyond. When she is not in the Jlab, Maddie can be found at her dance studio, with her church youth group, playing with her dog, or watching Friends reruns on MTV.

Jacob de Waard, Multimedia Producer

Jacob de Waard is a senior at Naperville North High School and is the Multimedia Producer for The North Star and The NOW. Jacob was born in New Jersey and lived on three different continents before moving to Naperville. He is also an aspiring photojournalist and pizza connoisseur.