North Star staff has golden year

The North Star staff brought home the Golden Eagle Award from the Northern Illinois Student Press Association conference held Friday at the College of DuPage.

The North Star won for overall excellence in the website contest.

Editor-in-Chief and North senior Will Trubshaw was proud of his staff’s effort this school year.

“We’ve worked together as a team very well. We’ve had some adversity and a lot of breaking news and difficult subjects to cover, but we’ve done it almost seamlessly,” said Trubshaw.

North Star Adviser Mitch Martin also voiced his gratitude to this year’s staff.

“I’m just incredibly proud and thankful that the kids had both the fortitude and the skill to surmount a difficult year and do their job, which is serve as the voice of the students,” Martin said.

In addition to the staff, Martin gave credit for The North Star’s success to fellow adviser Ryan Smith and to former adviser Tara Jewell.

Saturday, The North Star and the yearbook Reflections staff competed at the Illinois High School Association’s journalism sectionals competition. Six team members advanced to state. Competitors from Naperville Central’s newspaper, The Central Times, and its yearbook, Flight, placed first in the team competition, dominating this year’s sectionals.

Trubshaw, Julia Donofrio, Julia Shanahan, Audrey Iocca, Jayla Butler and Elise Mulligan will compete for the Huskies at the state competition held this Friday at Eastern Illinois University.