BREAKING NEWS: Students sent to hospital after eating laced candy


Tuesday, Dec. 6, 4:04 pm 

Fourteen NNHS students were sent to Edward Hospital after eating laced candy at school. Thirteen were treated Tuesday afternoon, Superintendent Dan Bridges said at a press briefing. The candy contained another unspecified substance, according to a school message sent to parents.

Eleven students are in stable condition and are undergoing evaluation, and two have been treated and released, according to District 203. Symptoms included a fast heart rate, dizziness and dry mouth.

During seventh period, Principal Stephanie Posey made an announcement to the school about the incident.

“A few students who choose poorly should not be allowed to define the Huskie family,” she said.

Several emergency vehicles were parked outside the school Tuesday afternoon, and a news chopper flew over the school.

“Our primary concern is ensuring the safety, the health, and the well-being of all of our students,” Bridges said at the press conference.

In September, two NNHS students were sent to the hospital and a dozen became ill after ingesting a spicy candy, the Toe of Satan.

The North Star will be posting updates on the incident as specifics become available.