Students gain unlimited access to lynda.com

The online learning resource lynda.com is now available to all District 203 students, according to District 203 Chief Information Officer Roger Brunelle.

With the same login and password used to enter into any District 203 computer, students now have unlimited access to the site from any browser-based device with Internet connection, Brunelle said.

“Lynda.com is an online, self-directed learning tool that consists of videos and tutorials,” Brunelle said. “People can learn content at their own pace based upon their skill level in one of around 3,000 different courses and topic areas.”

Lynda.com has a variety of courses such as business, design, information technology, marketing, photography, video and web. In these categories, there are multiple videos for each specific area of interest, according to Brunelle.

“For students, I think the great thing is that whatever their interest may be, they can take short tutorials and learn more about [what] they’re interested in or need help in,” Brunelle said.

Originally only offered to staff, lynda.com was made accessible to students this school year.

“We tried it out with the staff first to get their feedback,” Brunelle said. “We always intended to open it up to students.”

According to District 203 computer support analyst Lynn O’Connor, the site allows users to watch and re-watch videos to best learn the course content. The files featured in the videos can also be downloaded to use immediately or later on a device.

“It gives you the ability to repeat, back up and keep doing it until you get it,” O’Connor said. “You can do it at your own pace.”

According to Brunelle, over the last three months, there have been over 500 videos viewed, 480 active users and an average of 63 new users every two weeks.

NNHS senior Megan Blash plans to explore lynda.com. She finds it an efficient and hassle-free way to learn more about her interests.

“I took drawing class here at North,” Blash said. “I wanted to take another one, but I couldn’t fit it in my schedule. It would be cool to be able to take a drawing class online.”