All Day Jay

Jason Collins has made sports history – but it’s best kept off the court

By Sports Editor Jay Ahuja

JayIt’s getting out of hand.

On Feb. 23, history was made when Jason Collins became the first openly gay basketball player on an NBA team. The Brooklyn Nets signed Collins to a 10-day contract after losing their starting center. They were in desperate need of a big man. Collins hadn’t played on a team since he came out as gay last year, and at 35 years old, not much could be expected of him.

Luckily, the Nets signed him on a minimum contract. This worked for everyone. Collins got to play a little bit of basketball, the Nets were able to evaluate his potential, and it showed the world how far sports have come in regards to the discrimination of gay athletes.

Here’s the problem. Collins isn’t a good basketball player. He isn’t even mediocre. The Nets recently signed Collins to a second 10-day contract, which expires on March 14, and according to ESPN, it is expected that the Nets will sign him for the rest of the season.Simply ridiculous.

If we are looking at statistics, in the 8 games he played in this season, he is averaging a total of 0.6 points per game and 0.8 rebounds per game over 10 minutes of playing time. At this point in the season, it’s too late to sign any players. There was a chance for the Nets to do so, but Collins received a contract extension instead.

I hate to say it, but Collins doesn’t deserve all of this. He isn’t good. Many argue that while his stats are down, he still is a great off-the-ball defender and can set picks like no other. I think that has some truth, but when you have much better and much younger free agents waiting for a chance to prove themselves, you don’t resign Jason Collins.

People need to see what’s really going on.

Sounds like a publicity stunt doesn’t it? The Nets were having an atrocious season, and with fans dwindling every game, they needed something to attract attention.

Now don’t get me wrong, what Collins did was extremely courageous, and it began a new era in sports. But with the media drooling over him every time he touches the ball, fans and on-lookers haven’t been given a chance to see the truth.

At the end of the day, Collins is just doing his job. On the court, none of his teammates or opponents care whether he’s gay or not. It’s about basketball, and only the best deserve to play in the NBA.

I’m sorry, but Collins has got to go.

5
View Comments (5)