Two days disconnected

Lit Society’s Phoneless 48 challenge asked students to give up their cell phones for 48 hours

By  Staff Writer Jena Fakroddin

Can the average NNHS student give up their phone for 48 hours? In today’s world, that task seems nearly impossible.

This past week, the Lit Society challenged students to put the phone down for two whole days. Lit Society President, senior Maria Rousonelos, found the challenge surprisingly liberating.

“Not having my phone for two days was very freeing. I didn’t have that responsibility of always checking my phone to see if anyone had texted me. I could do whatever I wanted and not have to worry about it,” said Rousonelos.

However, Rosonelos still found it challenging. She said she depends on her phone more than she realizes.

“The first day, I almost woke up late because I forgot to set my alarm on a different device. I didn’t know what to wear because I didn’t know what the weather was like without the weather app on my phone,” Rousonelos said.

Like Rousonelos, it seems as though many at NNHS are more dependent on their wireless devices than they realize.

The Lit Society club members created and sponsored The Phoneless 48 challenge with the hope of getting more students to disconnect from their phones and be more mindful of their surroundings.

Fifteen willing students participated in the contest, giving up their phones for two days for the chance to win gift certificates or a Kindle Fire.

Martin said those who participated seemed to handle the challenge well.

“At first, students were reluctant to give up their phones,” said Martin. “But once people went through with it, they stuck with it. No one was shaking to get their phone back.”

Sophomore Mikey Hendrickson felt that not having his phone made him a nuisance to those around him.

“I had to keep asking people to use their phones to call my mom and tell her that I needed a ride,” Hendrickson said. “I felt bad continuing to ask them.”

Senior Irina Stolic felt not having her phone caused more stress on her parents.

“If my mom were to text me, she would never receive a response. She would start to worry then realize I didn’t have my phone. We needed to plan out our day to prevent that from frequently occurring,” said Stolic.

Though it came with challenges, the Phoneless 48 challenge was still effective in getting students to detach from their phones.

“I learned that I don’t always need my phone with me at all times and that I can still survive without it,” said Henrickson.

The contest hoped to encourage students to put down their phone in order to give them time to read. Though not all read with their free time, many, like senior Maggie Johnson, did find themselves more productive.

“I didn’t have any extra free time even though my phone was no longer distracting me. Instead, it just made me more productive and helped me stay on task until I accomplished everything I needed to get done,” Johnson said.

Though Rousonelos believes there is no way to force students into reading, she hopes challenges like this one will show students how easy it can be to make time for a book.

“In this day and age, there are so many distracters so we were really hoping that students who normally don’t feel they have time to read would realize that they can pick up a book for five minutes just as easily as they can use their phones to go onto social media,” said Rousonelos.

Martin said he hopes the Phoneless 48 challenge made the possibility of reading more accessible to students.

“If nothing else, I would love it if students no longer think that reading is just something you do for an assignment, but rather that reading is something you do for your life,” Martin said.