Naperville North students are taking many different post-secondary paths

Photo by Varsha Parthasarathy

Seniors at Naperville North are forging new and interesting paths when it comes to their post-secondary plans, including community college, military school and studying abroad. 

Community college can be an excellent option for students who are not ready to fully commit to a 4-year university while also saving money on tuition. Senior Naomi Yeo plans to attend College of DuPage (COD) as an undecided major. Yeo attended the COD takeover in the Learning Commons on March 6 and this event only affirmed her decision.

“I really like that they’re not just there to take your money but they also want to help you as a student,” Yeo said. 

Yeo plans to declare her major in Landscape Design and Horticulture. After taking the Floral and Landscape Design class at Naperville North and conducting some of her own research, Yeo believes that this career will be beneficial for her. Receiving an associate degree from College of DuPage and then going straight into the workforce is a viable path for many careers that do not require a 4-year degree, such as landscape design, drafting and electrical equipment management. Yeo greatly appreciates the many career supports College of DuPage provides. 

“They make it really easy to find apprenticeships and jobs with their great Workforce Network program,” Yeo said. 

Joining the military or a military school is another post-secondary option that provides students with a structured lifestyle inside and outside of the classroom. Senior Olivia Hebron is currently committed to the United States Military Academy West Point. During the school year, the students are regular university students; they attend classes, participate in a sport and live in dorms. For one month during the summer, students get military training with shooting, obstacle courses and skydiving. Hebron enjoys the school spirit and the attitude of improvement at West Point. 

“It’s a huge mental and physical challenge, and everyone wants to be a better person,” Hebron said. 

At West Point and at other military academies, the tuition is free. In fact, the cadets get bi-weekly wages as technically they are fully employed military personnel while being full-time students. After the four years, the students become Officers of the Army and are required to serve in active duty for five years and in the Army Reserves for three years. Officers have many options on where to serve; they could be medics, engineers, psychologists and even infantry. Hebron appreciates the many options she’ll have as a military officer and after serving. 

“There’s so many options, you can work pretty much anywhere in the army, and after serving they’ll even pay for my graduate school,” Hebron said. 

Attending a university abroad is another path seniors, like Will Anderson, are taking. Going to an international university is an amazing opportunity for students to expand their horizons and develop a more worldly perspective. Anderson believes that many of the international studies programs in the United States can still be very influenced by American ideals, so an international program would be a better fit for him. Anderson is committed to Leiden University College at The Hague, which, like many other international schools, offer opportunities that reach far beyond any American university. 

“I’ll be at the center of global international politics… the Hague is the International Court of Justice and it’s also right next to all of the Dutch embassies,” Anderson said. 

Although attending a 4-year college can seem like the expectation and standard in recent decades, it is important for students to take into consideration their goals and what they want to accomplish when choosing their post-secondary path. Community college, military academy and international university are fantastic options for those who are looking to explore a different trajectory post-graduation.