Music hall renovations to be continued this summer

By Staff Writer Taleena Nadkarni

The music wing will undergo additional renovations this summer, according to orchestra director Dana Green.

Green said the renovations are a necessity for students and will serve as a continuation of the first set, which occurred during the summer of 2013.

“With the quality of students that we have here, we need to have a quality music facility to offer them,” said Green. “The idea of having a really nice practice facility for students is going to make a huge difference in our rehearsals.”

The renovations, which are scheduled to finish by the beginning of next school year, will affect practice rooms, large ensemble rooms, and the amount of storage space for instruments, according to Green.Every practice room in the music wing will receive new floors, walls, and ceilings, which will improve the acoustics and minimize noise between rooms.

“A lot of individual work happens in these practice rooms,” said Green. “So [the changes] are going to have an enormous effect on the quality of music we produce at a large ensemble level.”

In addition, the doorways to both ensemble rooms will be widened to allow large instruments to be taken in and out of rehearsal areas, and students will receive more cabinet storage space for instruments, according to Green.

“We are definitely in need of these improvements from an aesthetic standpoint, both visually and audibly,” said Green.

Freshman band member Eunsong Park also believes that these renovations will improve his musical experience at NNHS.

“[The renovations] will be awesome,” Park said. “It will be really beneficial for us if these practice rooms are bigger so our [small group ensembles] could practice together.”

2
View Comments (2)