Focus203 to target student’s social and emotional health

By Staff Writer Taleena Nadkarni

District 203 will host its first Focus203 meetings on Wednesday, March 26 and Thursday, March 27 to discuss the social and emotional core competencies of students in the community.

According to District 203 Director of Community Relations Julie Carlsen, the presentation will focus on the causes and effects of student anxiety, parental challenges faced when raising teenagers, and various social and emotional skills necessary for success.

“If you’re not feeling comfortable [in school], then you’re not going to learn very well,” Carlsen said. “[Focus203] has worked towards an environment conducive to making sure that both parents and students feel welcome.”

According to Carlsen, Superintendent Dan Bridges,  Naperville Central High School (NCHS) social worker Amy Barth, and District 203 Supervisor of Social Work Services Rachel Weiss will be leading the presentations.

Carlsen believes that a top indicator of success is demonstrating social and emotional growth and long-term health of students.

“With some things that have been in the news in the last several months, we decided to host a stand-alone community engagement session,” Carlsen said. “We’re hoping for some really great discussions to help us understand how we can provide [support].”

Barth believes that Focus203 will be an effective and proactive way to teach kids social and emotional skills through the school curriculum.

“We’ve definitely seen an increase in mental health struggles for kids and adults in our country,” said Barth. “That speaks to teaching these [social and emotional] competencies and skills early so that kids are more equipped to handle any issue that comes along in life.”

The first Focus203 meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 26 from 7-9PM in Naperville Central’s cafeteria. The meeting will be repeated on Thursday, March 27th from 8:30-10:30AM at Grace United Methodist Church.

1
View Comments (1)