PARCC exam could lead to removal of school sponsored ACT

By Staff Writer Taleena Nadkarni

The ACT may no longer be administered for free within Illinois schools beginning in the spring of 2015.

Next year, the state of Illinois will be administering Partnership for the Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers, or PARCC test, in place of the PSAE which includes an ACT. According to the State Board of Education representative for Naperville, Curt Bradshaw, the Illinois State Board of Education is currently in debate over whether the ACT will fit into the budget for testing considering the arrival of the new PARCC assessments during the 2014-2015 school year.

“We are requesting the state to fund both exams,” said Bradshaw. “But I think that if time and money were not a constraint, it would be valuable for our high school juniors to take both the [PARCC] assessments and the ACT.”

The PARCC exam will test students’ knowledge against Common Core standards and will be administered to students in third through eleventh grade. Bradshaw said the PARCC exams cost roughly $44 million as opposed to the $14 million required for the ACT.

Though the PARCC test may not serve as a substitute for the ACT, Bradshaw said that it will act as a tool for teachers to measure student growth and as a way for school boards to hold districts accountable for student performance.

“Universally, it’s critical that the Common Core is [tested] because it sets a consistent bar to be able to know if we’re progressing in the way we should be,” said Bradshaw.

Though the PARCC exams are valuable, Bradshaw believes that they will not serve the same purpose for high school juniors as the ACT currently does.

“[The ACT] is the most efficient and convenient means for everybody if it continues to be paid for by the state and administered during the school day,” said Bradshaw.  “In my mind, it’s foolish not to fund the ACT.”

According to Timothy Wierenga, District 203 Assistant Superintendent for Assessment and Analytics, the PARCC tests will be administered in two parts during the spring.

In March, students will take a performance-based assessment, which consists of math, English, and a student-produced essay. In late April, students will complete a multiple choice end-of-the-year assessment, which will be completed entirely online, Wierenga said.

Wierenga believes that both the PARCC and ACT are valuable in their own way.

“The ACT is essential because it provides all of our students the ability to see how they can do on an entrance exam for college,” Wierenga said. “But the PARCC assessments will help [students] build to that point.”

6
View Comments (6)