Get a glam look without breaking the bank

By Staff Writer Jena Fakroddin

By the time we reach high school, most girls are wearing makeup. A New York Times article quotes Neutrogena’s cosmetic groups brand director Cara Robinson, stating that, “at least three out of four consumers age 14 to 17 are using a foundation product, and usage is actually a bit higher for mascara and lip gloss.”

A stroll through the mall’s flashy cosmetic counters might lead us to believe that the price of makeup determines the quality of it. We then fall into the high-price makeup trap, and many of us tend to stick with the luxury brands no matter the price tag. 

My advice is that you shouldn’t be afraid to try the drug store brands in most cases, but there are some exceptions where the luxury brands get it right.

Lip Gloss
When it comes to your lips, don’t break the bank. Most store brand lip glosses have the same effect and same color options as luxury brands. Because having only one lip gloss color isn’t much fun, buying cheaper products allows you to explore different color options for different events, moods and looks. I recommend Beauty Rush from Victoria’s Secret.  You can try a bunch of colors with pretty low risk.

Mascara
Mascara is another product not worth the splurge. For starters, the shape and curl of your eyelashes will determine how the mascara looks, not the mascara itself, so invest in a good lash curler. On top of that, expensive mascara usually comes in slightly smaller quantities, and every drop counts with this everyday item. DiorShow, for example, is $25 for .38 oz. CoverGirl LashBlash 24 Hour is .44 oz, and can usually be found for under $9. Obviously anyone can see what is the better deal. For an everyday product that you reapply frequently, quantity trumps quality. CoverGirl LashBlast 24 Hour gets the job done for me. I apply it once, and I’m set to go for the day.

When to splurge: Foundation or concealor
In order for other makeup to stand out however, you have to set the right foundation.  That’s why I would recommend dropping a little more dough on a solid foundation or concealer. These products are very sensitive to your skin type, and, because they are used every day you want one that provides complete coverage for all blemishes.

Choosing a cheap brand may not only jeopardize your coverage, but it may also cause further breakouts, especially if you have dry or sensitive skin. Concealers are powerful and work for a variety of purposes. They cover blemishes, dark spots, dark circles, and give you a clean glow on the run. Though Clinique is a more expensive brand, it’s worth it for the perfect match. The representatives at a Clinique counter will identify your skin type and match the perfect concealer for your skin type and body to get the glow you want.

Aside from foundation, in most cases, it’s rarely worth the splurge of the luxury brands. Even if they have worked for you in the past, experiment with brands you can find at the drug store when you run out of your Dior mascara or Chanel shadow. You will have some money left over (that you can put toward a new pair of shoes perhaps?) and still feel beautiful. It’s the best of both worlds.

2
View Comments (2)