Original one acts impress audiences

FlyerBy Features Editor Noelle Kirkman

On Friday, Feb. 14 and Saturday, Feb. 15, One Acts provided a free date for Huskie valentines and a fun night out for lonely hearts.

The entire audience roared with laughter and teared up during these original, ten minute acts. In a crowd favorite, Drugs are Bad, the actors could barely keep from laughing on stage.

“I like being in it and laughing with the audience,” said senior Rebekah Szilagyi, who played Dolores in Drugs Are Bad. “I do it a lot. I’m not supposed to, but I do.”

The night featured eight acts, including Drugs are Bad, an act about parents who practice an unusual parenting technique, Did You Know?, an act about a quirky girl who uses her knowledge of unusual facts to make a new friend, and Check Please, an act involving only senior actors on a series of bad dates.
Zoë Zafiropoulos co-wrote Did You Know, starting the script herself. Although, she later felt that she could not finish the project alone. She then enlisted junior Jalen Smith to help her write the rest.
“Hearing the words, knowing that I typed them on a computer, and seeing them acted out on stage is a totally cool feeling,” said Zafiropoulos.
The actors and directors only had a few months to prepare their acts. This time crunch made rehearsals difficult to pencil into busy schedules.
“We rehearsed three times for Drugs Are Bad, which is bad,” said Szilagyi. “The lines were a bit of a struggle, but we all got it in the end.”
Yet, One Acts highlighted more than onstage talent. These performances allowed audiences the rare chance to appreciate the work of student actors, writers, and directors in one sitting.
“I really enjoyed getting to know the actors and getting to see [Did You Know] go from [my] imagination to paper and to the stage,” said Zafiropoulos.

1
View Comments (1)