Twenty three NNHS athletes sign letters of intent

By Sports Editor Jay Ahuja

On Wednesday, Feb. 12, family and friends gathered in the auditorium to support a talented group of senior athletes. Twenty three Naperville North athletes signed their letters of intent for their respective universities, where they will compete next year.

The signing event included dedications and speeches by both the athletes and their coaches. Coaches spoke on behalf of their athletes and shared stories while discussing the hard work and dedication that each athlete gave to their sport.

Following coaches speeches, each athlete was given the opportunity to come to the podium and speak about their experience with their sport.  Many used the time to thank their coaches and families.

Senior basketball captain Jayson Winick said that the signing proved to be an emotional night for many of the athletes.

“It’s an emotional night for a lot of us since our high school careers are now over, and sometimes it’s hard to move on,” Winick said. “But I know all of us are also looking forward to what our future has in store for us at the next level.”

Some of the athletes that signed include football player DeSean Brown to Lafeyette University, basketball player Jayson Winick to Stevens Institute of Technology, baseball player Danny Riley to University of Illinois at Chicago, and golf player Taylor Arenson to Western Michigan.

Winick said the signing was a great way to reflect upon all he and his fellow athletes had accomplished.

“We’ve all spent countless hours working on our game and in the class room, and it’s great to see how much all these athletes have achieved,” Winick said.

1
View Comments (1)