NNHS Athletic Hall of Fame welcomes seven new inductees

By Staff Writer John Conway

This Friday, Feb. 7, Naperville North held its 9th annual Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Seven athletic contributors were inducted to the Class of 2014 Hall of Fame, including five past NNHS athletes, former Huskie football coach Larry McKeon, and community contributor Cliff Preston.

Many administrative figures were in attendance on Friday, including Principal Kevin Pobst and Superintendent Dan Bridges. Two of the night’s inductees, Alec Porzel and Steve Pribramsky, were unable to make an appearance at the ceremony, and asked their former coaches to accept the awards on their behalf.

NNHS Athletic Director Jim Konrad, who is both a Class of 2010 Hall of Fame inductee and a member of the Hall of Fame Board of Directors, was delighted by the night’s events.

“It’s always a special night,” Konrad said. “I went to school here, so these are a lot of people either I looked up to, or was lucky enough to have in class. Even though they have gone on to do great things, high school is special to all of us.”

The evening’s events started in the NPAC, where each of the new members were introduced by either their former colleagues or coaches. After hearing heartwarming remarks by their friends and mentors, each of the inductees then approached the podium and spoke on the impact that athletics has had on their lives.

Possibly the most moving speech was that of inductee Nick Fanthorpe, two-time state wrestling champion. He spoke on his experiences as a wrestler at NNHS, and expressed gratitude to his family and loved ones.

“I had a lot of people here, a lot of people that have supported me,” Fanthorpe said. “It’s just a great honor to be part of this prestigious group. There is a lot of great athletes who have come through North, so I’m very happy to be part of this.”

Lisa Bonistalli had one of the most inspiring stories that was shared during the event. A seven time all-state athlete for cross country and track andfield, Bonistalli discussed the roadblock pneumonia put in her senior year season. Despite the inhibited use of her lungs, Bonistalli still managed to place second at state.

She said her teammates and senior year season left a lasting impression on her.

“Probably [the most bittersweet thing was] the end of track season,” Bonistalli said. “Just moving on to college, leaving my teammates behind, and looking to restart my career at Iowa.”

The ceremony seemed to gradually build to Coach McKeon’s induction. McKeon, who won two state titles during his 26-year span as a coach, left a lasting legacy in NNHS athletics. Many of the nights earlier speakers, including class of 2006 Hall of Fame inductee Sean Drendel spoke highly of McKeon.

McKeon was nothing short of humbled by his induction.

“It’s a tremendous honor to be named to the Hall of Fame,” McKeon said. ”I’m up there with some really nice athletes and really nice coaches. To be honored with them is truly a blessing.”

Those who were inducted were recognized during the night’s home basketball game against Wheaton-Warrenville South. Many inductees stayed at the game to watch the Huskies capture a victory for the evening.