Picking a college roommate: your go-to guide

By Staff Writer Jena Fakroddin

If you are a college-bound senior, you currently face two options.

Option one: You can submit your name to your college of choice. Back in the days before social media, most roommates were randomly assigned to each other by their school. Students just had to accept whomever they got stuck living with their freshmen year.

However, many students in this day and age shudder at the thought of being paired with a stranger. While we have all seen horror films about college roommates, everything will turn out okay. It’s only a year after all! Luckily, social media has made it easier than ever to pick a roommate. It has paved the way for another option.

Option two: Depend on yourself to find a new best friend.

If you are one of the many scouting potential roommates, you may find the process overwhelming. Here are specific tips and advice on finding the right college roommate, so that you are sure to have a happy ending to your college experience.

Tip #1: Know that the “perfect roommate” does not exist, just like the “perfect guy.” As much as we believe something like that is out there in the world, it’s not. If you accept this now, you will be saved from disappointment later.

Tip #2: Before you start your search, you should determine a few deal-breakers. This is the time to consider your key values, interests, and beliefs in order to find the roommate who will best complement you. After you set these boundaries, you have free reign to check out their profiles on various social media sites.

Here’s where the fun begins.

After stalking your potential roommate’s profile, try to hold in your judgments. There is likely more to this person than appears in their pictures. Most of the time, that red solo cup is filled with Diet Coke.

If your potential roommate constantly posts about their breakups and makeups, consider yourself becoming their personal caretaker. This would be a deal breaker.

Or how about the time you first message your potential roommate? If the first thing they talk about is their vision to plaster your dorm walls with One Direction posters,  you may have just spotted another deal breaker.

Tip #3: Don’t room with your best friend.

It may seem like the perfect idea now, but you may very well regret the decision later on. The adjustment to college can be terribly stressful, and this stress could strain your friendship when you see each other 24/7. Also, rooming with your best friend may limit your social circle.

Tip #4: Trust yourself and trust your roommate.

Continue to look for roommates until you have found one you are comfortable with and one you can trust. In order to make the best out of your college experience, finding a  roommate who has your back will make all the difference.

1
View Comments (1)