Talent abounds at Senior Variety Show

On Wednesday, Feb. 5, the annual Senior Variety show showcased a wide variety of talents from singing to an impressive magic act.

By Staff Writer Dempsey Billotta
Production by Mila Koleva & Jakob Wastek

The Senior Variety Show is a talent show offered only to senior contestants. At the end, the top three acts won a cash prize. Erik Blackwell placed first with an impressive magic act, the acting group, “Check, please”, won second, and Danielle Fattore and Cameron Snyders came in third with their dance routine.

One performer, Nick Martinez, choreographed a dance to “This is a Way” by David Choi, which was a lyrical hip-hop type  of dance.

“I’ve known the song for a year, and since I knew it so well, it just took me about a week [to choreograph the dance],” said Martinez. “I mostly freestyle my dances- I think it’s more expressive that way.”

Maddie Jordan, Kevin Drake, Michael Drake, and Ben Martin performed a group collaboration to the song, “Still into You” by Paramore. All of the members have been playing music for about four years.

“[We decided to perform together because] we thought it would be a really cool way to start off the senior year events,” said Kevin Drake.

“Still into You” has much more meaning to the group than just your typical pop song.

“We all just really like [the artist] Hayley Williams,” said Jordan. “She’s like my idol so singing the song she sings is kind of cool.”

Another performance by the artist was also inspired the group’s performance.

“[The band Paramore] did a cover of that song, which is the way we played it. It was a cover they played at the Grammys. It was a toned down version, and we all really liked that and thought it would be cool to play together,” said Jordan.

The Senior Variety Show had acts in a variety of genres, and all of the performances left the audience entertained and impressed.

2
View Comments (2)