Free ACT class will admit students via raffle

By Staff Writer Lynn Arbid

The Literacy Center’s ACT class will no longer be offered on a first-come- first-serve basis. According to Literary Center reading specialist Stephanie Moore, students for the class will be chosen at random in a raffle.

“In the past, [ first-come, first-serve] hasn’t worked very efficiently. Some people were upset that they were number 36 or 38,” said Moore. “We looked into [making] this more fair to students.”

Each completed application will be counted as a raffle ticket. There will be 35 students chosen each lunch period to partake in the ACT class.

A few students suggested this method to Moore  last year  after not getting into the course due to the limited numbers of spaces available.

“[With the old system,] some people [who] were sick or on a field trip [would come] back, and all the spots were filled,” said Moore. “That just wasn’t as fair.”

According to Moore, she  checks the applications to make sure they are completely filled out and contain a parent/guardian signature. If they are complete, she will enter the student’s name into the raffle.

If a student ends up with more than two unexcused absences for the course, they will be charged a $25 fee for the ACT book that comes with the class.

This measure has been taken to encourage students to either attend all 13 sessions or to opt not apply for the course and give others, who will attend all class days, a better chance at being chosen.

Junior Preston Scott supports the new raffle-based application process. Scott plans to take the test in April during the school PSAE testing dates.

“I’ll admit. I will be mad if I don’t get in, but its free. [I] can’t complain,” said Scott, “I think A raffle will also make it more fair for all students.”

Applications for the course are available Feb. 3 – 7 and are due Feb. 14.

Staff writer Taleena Nadkarni contributed to this report.

1
View Comments (1)