“We Are Rivals” documentary’s goal is to unite community

By News Editor Emma Stancey

Tonight at North Central College’s Wentz Hall, community members are invited to the premiere of “We Are Rivals,” NCTV17’s latest documentary about existing Naperville high school rivalries between North and Central as well as Neuqua and Waubonsie.

According to Jane Wernette, community development director at NCTV17, the short film will take viewers behind the scenes of practices, pep-rallies, and the highly anticipated crosstown games that reveal the strong sense of determination, competition, and athleticism that drive the rivalries.

“Our hope for tonight is that people leave feeling really inspired,” said Wernette. “We want people to feel real pride in their schools.”

The NCTV17 team gathered hundreds of hours of footage, filming each of the schools extensively during their weeks of preparation. The compilation, produced by Alex Symonds, is a little over an hour long.

“It’s amazing to see the meticulous preparation that each of these four teams, schools, and fan bases put into these games,” said Symonds.  “The goal of this documentary is to tell the story of what goes into and comes out of these intense rivalry match-ups, and not just the football side of things.”

According to Wernette, the NCTV17 team would like to thank the schools involved, administrators, coaches, and athletes who supported and participated in this project.

“We hope everything we do makes people feel good about the community in which they live in,” said Wernette.

Tickets for tonight’s event are still on sale online at North Central College’s box office at http://tickets.noctrl.edu/.