Madrigal Dinner takes audience back in time

By Staff Writer Jena Fakroddin

Production by Emily Hillier

https://vimeo.com/82041371

NNHS’ annual Madrigal Renaissance Dinner was held yesterday, Sunday, Dec.15. A select group of  singers, actors, and musicians united to create an interactive experience for friends and families to enjoy.

Students in NNHS’ Bella Corda orchestra and Madrigal Choir study music dating back around 500 years. Each year, these students collaborate and host a Renaissance Dinner that is served and catered by the school’s kitchen staff. Along with dinner, the students entertain friends and family by singing various songs from the era.

The students transform the small cafeteria into a new realm every holiday season while each character encourages the audience to participate and interact with them.

Even though it may seem difficult to create a believable environment and develop specific characterization from a time period so long ago, it was no challenge for the students involved.

Memorizing lines was not hard for Rebekah Szilagyi, senior, who played Cheshire.

“[Lines] were easy to learn because most of my lines rhymed, which was a common language structure in the Renaissance era,” said Szilgyi.

On the other hand, George Lowery, senior, who played the king, needed to visualize and develop the mindset for his role.

“The king is very confident and in charge of the people, so I had to speak and interact with the audience and other actors in a way [that made this] obvious,” Lowery said. “The longer the night goes on, the harder it is to get out of my character; I always just want to continue being the king forever.”

Because Lowery had such an overpowering role, he took advantage of the many opportunities he had to get the audience involved.

“I was responsible for punishing people when they made mistakes or misbehaved. I make people in the audience do the Chicken Dance or sing songs in front of everyone,” Lowery said.

Each audience member also had to approach the King, along with other characters to ask if they could have salt and pepper for their food.

Cori Hughes, an audience member, was brave enough to approach the King and the other royal court members to request salt and pepper for her table.

“They asked me if I could entertain them, but sadly, I am not much of an entertainer, but I sang them Happy Birthday and they were pretty pleased,” said Hughes. “I had a great experience. The actors and singers stayed in character the whole time. With the costumes, character’s interactions with the audience, and overall atmosphere, I really felt like I was living in the Renaissance era; I felt like I was at Medieval Times.”