GSA fosters an open and accepting environment

By Staff Writer Dempsey Bilotta
Camera Work by Jakob Wastek
Editing by Emily Hillier

http://vimeo.com/81724946

The Gay Straight Alliance club (GSA) is expressive, open, and accepting. This student-based club, sponsored by Humanities teacher Kermit Eby, gives students a chance to say what is on their mind about gay/straight current events.

The GSA encourages students to express their personality and sexuality freely. Junior Tyler Karns discovered this his freshman year.

“I come to GSA because I’m very open minded person, and I wanted to learn more about the LGTB community,” said Karns.

During the meetings, everyone has a voice in all discussions. Most of the meetings foster group discussions regarding current events that are gay and lesbian based.

“My favorite part of GSA would have to be how close everyone grows throughout the year,” said Karns. “In GSA, it’s just a really safe and comfortable environment that allows everyone here to become friends and then best friends.”

Not only is the club itself influential to others, but the people involved in the club also leave lasting impacts.

“The presidents that I’ve met definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things and just taught me to be more opened minded,” said Karns.

GSA combines openness and education into one. Whether or not students actively participate, they can still be around people who share the same interests and passions.

1
View Comments (1)