Charlotte’s Web ensnared hearts of all ages

Co-Director Gianmarco Duin and Features Editor Noelle Kirkman discuss the highlights of Charlotte’s Web

By Features Editor Noelle Kirkman
Production by Jakob Wastek

http://vimeo.com/81449404

This past weekend on Dec. 6-8, directors Gianmarco Duin and Amy Frazzini presented the children’s play, Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White.

The play told the beloved story of Wilbur, a pig who wanted to avoid the butcher’s block. Charlotte, a spider determined to be a true friend, along with other friends, come up with a grand scheme to save Wilbur. As the story unfolded, the audience had the chance to learn the true meaning of friendship.

The production of Charlotte’s Web successfully touched the hearts of not only kids but also the hearts of teens and adults alike. The play reminded the audience of the importance of compassion and friendship, concluding with a bittersweet yet heartwarming message.

Despite the melancholy ending, the play itself was very amusing overall. In one act, the entire auditorium roared with laughter as the farmers went on a mad dash to catch Wilbur as he escaped the farm. The audience interaction took the play to a whole new level and gave the crowd a chance to use their imagination.

Each character also played a vital role in teaching the lesson of teamwork, especially the animals. They accurately depicted human emotions, delivering a fantastic contrast between humor and solemnity.

Each actor played his or her role very well. As a cast, they did a good job of making the audience feel the emotions they were trying to convey. Because of this, the audience responded enthusiastically to the play: laughing during the playful moments and being teary eyed when Charlotte had to say her final goodbye to Wilbur.

Charlotte’s Web was the perfect choice for the 2013 children’s play. It taught kids and reminded adults that good friends can help each other get through anything. The play was truly enjoyable for all ages.