Library begins offering digital eBooks

Students can now access over 200 digital books via the NNHS library

By Staff Writer Lynn Arbid

The NNHS and Naperville Central libraries are now providing over 200 eBooks for students, according to NNHS librarian Lee Applegate.

Should a student be seeking a book not currently offered digitally, new eBooks will be added to the existing selection as per request. These books can be accessed by students anywhere and at any time, Applegate said.

“What’s nice about this is all of these books are available 24/7,” said Applegate. ”You can use it anywhere and on many different devices.”

Students can check out eBooks for two or three week time periods. After this period has ended the book will automatically be returned, Applegate said. If the student wishes to check the book out again, they can easily do so and their page will automatically be saved.

Instructions to access the various titles are available on the NNHS library’s webpage and in the library near the stairs.

Currently, the school is doing a pilot with Overdrive, a digital ebook distribution company, that will finish at the end of the year if the contract is not renewed, Applegate said.

According to John David Son, Naperville District 203 director of instructional technology, the approximate cost to provide eBooks at both high schools was about $10,000. This includes access to the OverDrive platform, support from the vendor, training of staff, and the purchasing of books that students check out.

“We believe eBooks will complement [traditional print books] and provide our students opportunities to access the books they wish to read via the method they prefer,” Son said in an emailed statement to “The North Star”.

According to Son, it is very likely that eBooks will be provided in the future at the middle and elementary schools. The district will begin to explore these options next school year.

Students can access the eBooks via the district digital library.

1
View Comments (1)