NNHS Dawg Pound encourages and inspires

The Dawg Pound works tirelessly to make the NNHS cheering section fun and engaging

By Staff Writer Jena Fakroddin
Production by Emily Hillier

https://vimeo.com/80379982

The Dawg Pound, one of NNHS’ most popular student-directed clubs, never fails to “turn up.” The senior leaders of the Dawg Pound bring all classes together to form one Huskie family to cheer on and support NNHS athletics.

The Dawg Pound is more than a student section at athletic events; it’s a club where students unite to energize the crowd and athletes.

Students at NNHS first enter the Dawg Pound as freshmen. When students begin their senior year, they can then rise to the occasion and become the leaders of the pack. Four senior leaders take charge and create a fun and welcoming environment for students.

“We all try to become one big North family. A lot of us have good friends on the sports teams so it’s fun to get everyone involved,” said Ryan Krainz, Dawg Pound leader. “It’s one of the only times when most of the classes come together to spend time with one another and cheer on our friends.”

While it may be difficult for four individuals to lead a stacked student section and encourage student participation, the Dawg Pound leaders understand the worthiness of their efforts. By creating weekly themes, they make each athletic event something to look forward to.

When collaborating with the other three leaders to decide the weekly themes, Sydney Cheatham says it’s best to have “no filters.”

“We have to say whatever comes to mind in order to come up with a variety of unique ideas,” said Cheatham.

The leaders created a NNHS Dawg Pound Twitter account that is open for followers to post theme suggestions for upcoming games, an effort that encourages and engages the student body.

“Everyone accepts one another’s ideas. Sometimes we’ll take votes on various themes, and we’ll go with whatever has the most votes on Twitter,” said Krainz.

In addition to the set themes for each game, unique traditions are constantly created to make each experience in the Dawg Pound irreplaceable and unexpected.

Krainz is known for wearing a tutu at every football game.

“When I started wearing the tutu, our football team was 4 and 0. It became a good luck charm- I couldn’t risk our winning streak,” said Krainz.

Meanwhile, Cheatham’s brought a cowbell to every game.

“My cowbell broke after our football team lost,” said Cheatham.

Even though football season has ended, students can expect more traditions and themes to be created during the basketball season.

Not only is it the first year Krainz and Cheatham have collaborated with the others to lead the Dawg Pound, but it is also the last year they get to be a part of it.

“Experiencing the games and seeing your friends play on the field or on the court, putting their heart into something they love and transferring it into the Dawg Pound, has been a part of how I got through high school- making new friends and having a great time supporting NNHS athletics,” said Cheatham.