Take your mark

Naperville prepares to host both a marathon and a half marathon this weekend

By Staff Writer Shreya Narayan

“On your marks, get set, go!”

This Sunday, Nov. 10, runners from all over the nation will hear these exact words as they sprint from the start to the finish line right in the heart of Naperville.

With a marathon-type race being amiss from the city since the 1970’s, the Edward Hospital Naperville Marathon and Half Marathon hopes to bring the excitement back to the city.

“Back in the 1970’s several runners from North Central College put together a marathon but it never caught on for whatever reason,” said race director Bob Hackett in an email. “As runners, we saw the need and decided to bring an event like no other to the streets, parks, and forest preserves of Naperville that will show others what Naperville is all about.”

According to the marathon’s website, there will be 3,500 runners from over 30 states participating Sunday morning. 53% of those registered will be running the half marathon, and 47% will run the marathon. The course for both races begins and ends at the North Central College Athletic Complex. The marathon is also a 2015 Boston qualifying race.

Edward Hospital is the main sponsor for the event, along with additional sponsors Exelon, Brooks Running as the “Official Clothing and Shoe sponsor,” and Naperville Running Company.

“Edward Hospital has been huge in allowing this event to become the kind of race we are proud to present to our community,” Hackett said.

The start time for both events is 7:00 am, and both the marathon and half-marathon will leave from the same start line.

Both races will feature wave starts, in which runners will be released in waves 30 seconds apart in order to reduce congestion and traffic. Wave starts will not delay a runner’s pace, as their times will not start until they pass the start line, according to Hackett.

Tickets for the event went on sale in January 2013 and, according to Hackett, were sold out in less than 14 hours.

Though two payment options were presented, 3,000 of the runners elected to pay the registration fee upfront. The other 500, who are associated with charity partners like Edwards Hospital, Naperville Cares, and St. Baldricks, payed by promising to raise a minimum amount of money for their charity in order to race.

Although registration to run in the event is far past closed, spectators are invited to come watch the event. Visit the parking map and spectator info to find the best spot.

“From my perspective, the best places to watch are going to be near the start and finish of the race. Our course is really a large circle.” Hackett said.

U.S. Olympian Benji Dureden will be running the course this Sunday with his wife, according to Hackett.

NNHS also has several staff members participating on Sunday.

For Math Teacher Tracy Goering, the Naperville Marathon will be her second marathon, following the Chicago Marathon.

“It’s something that I’ve always wanted to try. I’ve done half marathons for about three years, and this is the next step.” Goering said.

Other NNHS teachers including Jason Reid, Heather Schield, and Steve Mazzarella will also be running.