City council may approve medical marijuana dispensary

By Staff Writer Taleena Nadkarni

The Naperville City Council is considering the local regulation of medical marijuana, according to Planning Operations Manager for the City’s Transportation, Engineering, and Development Business Group Allison Laff.

The Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, which was implemented by the Illinois Legislature in August, allows for cultivation centers and dispensing facilities for marijuana anywhere within the state.

“The state act is very specific,” said Laff. “We’re just looking from a local perspective to make sure that these facilities are located at the right areas within the city.”

In order to do so, the Naperville City Council has proposed to add its own set of regulations to the already existing state act requirements, said Laff.

The Council wishes to limit which zoning districts the facilities will be located in by adding a distance requirement for dispensaries and ensuring a maximum number per property.

“With our restrictions, we will provide additional guidance beyond the state act,” said Laff.

According to Laff, once the city receives a petition for a local facility, its extent of control depends upon whether or not the proposed location qualifies for the medical use of marijuana.

“We won’t actually look into the petitioners, themselves,” Laff said.

NNHS junior Sonya Babenkova agrees with the city’s proposed agenda.

“[These facilities] will definitely create easier access for those who truly need marijuana for medical purposes,” said Babenkova.

Others, such as junior Aveed Dai, are skeptical about the city’s regulations.

“There are a lot of ways that having a medical marijuana dispenser could go wrong,” Dai said.  “But I think that, with strict enforcement, the city could handle it.”

Despite the potential controversy  that could follow a dispensary, Laff is confident in the city’s ability to monitor its facilities.

“When the additional regulations are in place, and if these facilities do locate on these zoning districts, there shouldn’t be an issue,” Laff said.

Edward Hospital physician Dr. Mark Fehr is more concerned with the effects of medical marijuana than its method of access.

“I would have trouble prescribing it, as the medical studies are not very good,” said Fehr. “But if people want it, and as long as they’re not abusing it, then why not [have a public facility].”