Heroes behind the health desk

By Staff Writer Dempsey Bilotta

The NNHS Health Office goes beyond band-aids and ice packs. Our nurses and nurse technicians have more responsibilities than you may think. Their jobs range from filling out massive amounts of paperwork to talking with students about their own personal problems.

In the health office, there is a make-up of certified nurses and health technicians. Certified nurse Jeanne Costanza details her main goals.

“Our main job in the health office is to make sure kids are healthy and ready to learn,” said Costanza.

The entire staff in the health office often sits and talks with students about their daily problems. They see that the majority of kids that walk through the office come to them for that specific reason.

“We talk with them. Sometimes we administer medication if it’s here and parents provided it for us and call a local social worker or counselor to ask them to come in and work with the student,” said Costanza. “They need a spot sometimes.”

The main job of the health technicians has more to do with minor health issues, such as headaches and cuts. They also keep track of students coming in and out of the office. Health technician Heather Donnary thinks of their job as the “first line” for students. They treat kids who are diabetic and distribute medication to students that need to take it daily. But it is not just health issues they deal with, they also have snacks for students. Once a semester, they even give students a pass for lunch, just in case they have nothing to eat.

Costanza and Donnary both consider the insurmountable amount of paperwork the most difficult part of their job.

“[We have a] tremendous amount of paperwork,” said Constanza. “We have to make sure everybody’s physicals and immunizations are in compliance, and that can be challenging because there are so many kids.”

They also attend several meetings, like 5o4 meetings for kids with other medical needs and IEP meetings for kids with special needs. These meetings include interviewing parents to get their view on the topic.

Costanza finds it challenging to make enough time to get everything done. She also finds it hard to see kids stressed or injured. In these situations, she has to email teachers and make them aware what is going on.

“It’s hard when kids are really hopeless and they can’t see that things are going to improve,” said Costanza.

Donnary described that one of the difficult and scary parts of her job is when a wheel chair is called down for a student. When this happens, the outcome is unpredictable.

”It does make me nervous. You never know how bad it is when they call down; you never know if it’s something huge or if someone just doesn’t feel well,” said Donnary.

Costanza and Donnary both feel that the best part of their day is interacting with students. They enjoy helping them with personal problems or just chatting in spare time.

“Talking to the kids is just the best, they’re are so interesting and smart and fun. A lot of time, I think we can really help,” said Constanza.

The NNHS Health Office staff are not far from super heroes. Their jobs are much more detailed than doling out ice packs and letting you sleep in their office. These ladies are always more than willing to help, and they always lend a hand with a smile.