It can wait

Student urges others to stay focused behind the wheel

By Photography Manager Mila Koleva

Sophomore Connor O’Brien gathered supporters from the American Automobile Association (AAA) and AT&T to center his Eagle Project around a “Don’t text and drive” campaign yesterday, Sept. 19.

O’Brien dedicated his time to this cause after he was in a near-accident while driving four months ago. He hosted his project  during all lunch periods in the Large Café.

“I just left the DMV turning on 75th, and some guy who was texting and driving didn’t pay attention,” said O’Brien. “It was my first experience driving.”

Over the past four months, O’Brien contacted Principal Kevin Pobst, Student Activities Director Jennifer Baumgartner, AAA, and AT&T to help organize and support his “Don’t text and drive” cause.

“It was hard to talk to my leaders and get the signatures to be able to even do the project,” said O’Brien.

Once he gained administrative approval, AAA supplied O’Brien with a driving simulator so that students could come up and attempt to text while operating the controls. AT&T gave out stickers, and a sign-up sheet was provided so students could pledge to never text and drive with the It Can Wait campaign.

“I encourage people, mainly, to just stop texting and driving,” O’Brien said. “[Not texting when driving] doesn’t hurt you; it doesn’t hurt anybody else. It can wait.”

According to O’Brien, AT&T has an app that sends a text message to the driver’s contacts, saying that he or she is preoccupied and will reach them as soon as they can.