Keeping the beat

NNHS to offer free EKG testing next month

By Staff Writer Lynn Arbid

Young Hearts for Life (YH4L) will provide free electrocardiogram (EKG) tests for NNHS students next month, according to Wellness Department Director John Fiore.

This year’s testing will take place on Oct. 24 and 25 during students’ physical education hour, health class, and/or wellness study hall, according to the school’s website.

EKG tests detect irregular electronic activity and heart rate to prevent potentially life threatening heart conditions, according to the Young Hearts for Life (YH4L) website.

“[Irregular heart conditions] are very rare, but a simple test can detect and create the path to treatment and avoidance,” said Fiore.

Male students will be tested in room 198, and females will be tested in the dance room, said Fiore. In addition to NNHS, YH4L works with many other schools to provide free EKG testing for students.

EKGs are noninvasive, painless tests. With wires connected to the patient, they record heart activity on graph paper. According to The Parent Heart Watch Association’s website, these wires attach to electrode patches on the chest, arms, and legs with sticky backings.

School Nurse Pam Seubold explained the EKG result reading process.

“When they produce the strips, [the physicians] will take them back, and the doctors will read it,” said Seubold. “If they see any abnormality, then Midwest Heart Association will send out a letter to the parents and let them know.”

Volunteer physicians will search the graph strips for abnormalities. If they discover an irregular reading, the Midwest Heart Foundation, founder of YH4L, will recommend further testing, said Seubold.

District 203 began conducting these annual tests in 2006, according to the YH4L website.

“There was a lot of media about cardiac deaths,” said Seubold. “Midwest [Heart Foundation] started out in Oakbrook at one of the elementary schools, and then they wanted to bring it in to Naperville schools.”

On November 20, 2005, Kathryn Bender, a former senior at NNHS and member of the school dance team, died of long QT syndrome, according to the Daily Herald. This is a disorder of the heart’s electrical activity that was unknown to her, her family, and her physicians.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Bender suddenly collapsed while preparing backstage for a performance at Waubonsie Valley High School. She was transported by ambulance to the hospital, but she was never revived.

YH4L has paired with district 203 and many other districts to prevent such tragedies.

District 204 announced its move towards testing in 2008. Benedictine University, District 99, and St. Charles East are all also offering EKG testing to their students this year.

This story initially said that male testing would take place on the wrestling balcony. Changes were made to describe the accurate location in room 198. 

1
View Comments (1)