Varsity football players receive MVP awards

DeSean Brown during a varsity game against Glenbard East last fall

By Jay Ahuja

The Most Valuable Player (MVP) is a title given to the player who has shown the most character and has the most value on the team.

For the NNHS football team, two players have provided the skills to lead their team to the playoffs. NNHS senior Johnny Brown and NNHS junior DeSean Brown have both received the 2013 MVP award and, without a doubt, they deserved it.

Starting quarterback J. Brown threw 604 total yards while completing 58.8% of his passes. He was also the second leading rusher on team, racking up 552 yards on the ground. J. Brown was also out for two games with an injury.

“This award means a lot to me because it means my teammates thought this highly of me for an award like this,” J. Brown said.

The MVP quarterback will be attending Dubuque University and plans to play the quarterback position there as well.

D. Brown primarily played the running back and receiver position, and occasionally lined up on defense as well. D. Brown led the team in rushing and receiving, reaching the end zone 13 times. D. Brown has recently been named captain for next season’s varsity team.

“Getting this award lets me know that my teammates and coaches really appreciated what I did on and off the field,” D. Brown said. “I also know now that I have to be the leader for next season’s group of players.”

Both Browns were surprised to win the award, since it was expected to go to one of the division-one-bound offensive linemen.

“I thought one of the O-line guys would get the award, but I completely see why Johnny got it,” D. Brown said.  “He led us through the storm this season, and we probably would not have reached the playoffs. I’m extremely grateful to win this award, but it’s more about the team for me.”

J. Brown is also thankful for this award, but wanted something more.

“I’m glad to win this award, but it would have better to have that championship ring instead. But I wouldn’t trade anything in the world for this amazing season with the best teammates in the world,” J. Brown said. “I am always proud to be a huskie!”

Photo by Ali Bettuzzi

1
View Comments (1)