Hallway mural designed by 2011 grad

By Mila Koleva

Hundreds of students walk through the chemistry hallway every day without a second glance at the student-designed murals on the walls. One in particular was drawn by NNHS 2011 graduate Meghan Robinson, who is currently majoring in design with a concentration in illustration at Alberta College of Art and Design in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Robinson didn’t decide until her senior year at North that she wanted to pursue art, but since then, she has worked hard and blossomed into an accomplished young artist.

“Art school is a lot of work, especially for my degree,” Robinson said, “Last year, I had about twelve all-nighters, but it was all worth it. At least art is fun to work on for days at a time.”

She has art classes Monday to Friday, from 9 to 5, along with about forty hours of additional homework. Robinson is currently working on a series of zombie horses, which she said is turning out to be one of her favorites.

Preceding her college career, Robinson drew and painted a mural at North using black sharpies and paint, as well as another mural in downtown Naperville, on the fourth floor of the Van Buren parking garage. She was invited to design hallway murals by NNHS art teachers. The one downtown was painted with fellow student artists from district 203 in a community building project.

“The art program at North was great. It exposed me to a lot of different techniques as well as a variety of different art mediums,” she said, “I also won a few awards just at North. Looking back I would have liked to enter a few more art contests that were larger than just from high school.”