Boys soccer gives it their all for third in state

On Sat., Nov. 4, Naperville North’s boys varsity soccer placed third in state against Glenbrook North High School.

The Huskies (23-2-3) won against the Spartans (21-5-2) with a final score of 5-2. 

The team was locked in by the first half. Junior forward Jaxon Stokes took multiple shots until the first goal was scored at 22:26 by sophomore defense Sam Hess. Penalty kick after penalty kick, the game continued in a competitive and aggressive manner from the Huskies. Junior defense Connor Hanrahan shares the team’s mindset going into the big game.

“Our main goals were to just perform well and give our best effort. To give your best effort there’s nothing you can be disappointed about. It feels great,” Hanrahan said.

The second half began with an early goal from Stokes and an assist by junior forward Noah Radeke at 2:53. The Huskies did not lose their aggressive adrenaline in this half with attempts made by senior midfielder Hindo Allie and saves from senior goalkeeper Grant Montanari. The season came to an end with a goal made by senior forward Joel Ruderman and an assist by Stokes. The team valued real sportsmanship by getting all seniors playing time in this last game. Assistant Coach Steve Goletz tells the integrity that went into today’s game. 

“It stunk not being in the game we wanted, but this group of guys were so good at being able to honor what they have done all year. That was the message: to honor the program and honor the way they played all year,” Goletz said. 

With the season’s end, the team stays close for the offseason. Although players take part in more rigorous club soccer, coaches value bonds even without daily practices. 

“They play such a high level of club soccer year-round; there really is no time off for them. The big thing for us is staying connected to them and making sure they know that we are here to support them,” Goletz said.