Huskie Football dominates Waubonsie Valley in a defensive masterclass led by senior William Korosec

Photo by Will Richards
Sophomore Gabe Hill tries to sack the quarterback during the second quater.

The Naperville North High School varsity football team beat Waubonsie Valley High School for the second time in a row on Friday, Oct. 20.

The Huskies (6-3) beat the Warriors (4-5) by a score of 28-7.

Each team went into the game with lots of experience as they played each other last week. Senior cornerback William Korosec set the tone for the game instantly by returning the kickoff for a touchdown. The return was followed soon after by a Korosec pick-six. Throughout the first half, the Huskie defense would not allow the Warriors to breathe. Dominant performances by sophomore Gabriel Hill and senior Lawson Grier on the defensive line forced the Waubonsie quarterback to make easy mistakes. The Warrior offense would not score in the half. Korosec explains how he and the defense can affect the team’s energy.

“Interceptions cause a big change in energy, they really get the team going. If we can do that more than once it really helps the team overall,” Korosec said.

While the Huskie defense was incredible throughout the first half, the offense had come out to a slow start. Coming out of the locker room though, the Huskie offense stepped up their game. Following an incredible one-handed interception by senior cornerback and wide receiver (WR) Luke Williams, senior Cole Arl outran the entire Warrior defense on a 63-yard rushing touchdown. After giving up the Warriors’ only score of the night, the Huskie offense had to respond. On two game-sealing plays, junior WR Ian MacConnachie set up an easy running touchdown for junior quarterback Jacob Bell. On each play, MacConnachie grabbed a spectacular sideline catch to move the ball forward on critical plays. Korosec would end up intercepting Waubonsie one more time before the clock ran out. MacConnachie reflects on the offensive resurgence and his clutch catches.

“Honestly I think that big [catch] that I had really sealed the deal with that touchdown… [Bell] had one of the best throws I’ve ever seen him throw to me,” MacConnachie said. 

Friday’s game was the last regular season game of the season for the varsity football team. At the time of this interview, the Huskies were unaware of their next opponent. Defensive coordinator Chris Arthurs reveals how he and the team will go about preparing for their next game against a then-unknown opponent.

“You get the film on Saturday. Look at it. You see who you’re playing and you’ll watch the film from tonight and just keep getting better at those things that you’re trying to do defensively, and you line up and you get ready to go,” Arthurs said.

Going into the playoffs, team morale could not be any higher. The Huskies, coming off their third straight win, are looking to make waves in this year’s playoffs. Junior offensive lineman Brady Valle explains why he thinks the team will succeed going into next week.

“I think that having such a great depth chart, everyone wants to go in and do his job and that’s exactly what [we] did… Everyone has a job, whether it’s cheering or bringing water or playing on the field,” Valle said. 

The team will play Glenbard West on Saturday Oct. 28 at home. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.