Boys basketball edges out York in the regional semi-finals

The Naperville North High School varsity boys basketball team defeated York Community High School on Wednesday, Feb. 22.

The Huskies (20-11) defeated the Dukes (13-18) with a final score of 53-43.

The Huskies came out fighting in the first few minutes of the game, scoring the first six points. The Huskies also fought hard on the defensive side, only allowing four points in the first quarter. However, after the first quarter, the Dukes climbed back into the game, narrowing the Huskie lead to only 22-20 at halftime. Junior Bryce Welch describes how the team camaraderie has helped the team in games.

“We were able to work together as a team, get open spots and work together like we have been all year,” Welch said.

The Huskies continued their strong defense throughout the second half, continuing to successfully steal the ball and turn it into quick points. They were able to regain their lead in the fourth quarter, scoring 15 points to the Dukes’ seven. Junior Luke Williams stresses the importance of practice.

“Just practice, [you know], repetition, [you know], working on our habits… getting deflections on the ball,” Williams said.

This game was the first game of the IHSA state playoffs. The team must win their games from here on out to continue their season. The Huskies feel more connected than ever at this point in the season. Welch explains the importance of these team connections in the playoffs.

“We have really good team chemistry, so I think we’re able to just play together when it matters the most,” Welch said.

The Huskie’s next opponent is Wheaton-Warrenville South High School, a strong team whose record is 26-5 and ranked 31st in Illinois. Despite these rankings,  the Huskies, feel confident in their ability to play well on Friday. Head Coach Gene Nolan explains how Friday can’t come any sooner for the team. 

“I’m excited. We get to come back to practice tomorrow and we love our team, so we can’t wait for Friday,” Nolan said.

The team will play their next game on Tuesday, Feb. 24 against Wheaton-Warrenville South High School. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. at West Chicago High School.