NNHS softball stunned by Naperville Central

The Naperville North High School varsity softball team looked strong going into the third inning up 3-1 against Naperville Central High School, however the Huskies were unable to score again as NCHS climbed back.

On Monday, Naperville North High School (4-6, 3-3) was defeated at home against crosstown rivals Naperville Central High School (10-6, 3-3) by a score of 9-3.

The Huskies started freshmen Cami Chelich (13) as their pitcher for the crosstown matchup. However, after the Redhawks took the score to 5-3, senior Maya Tucker (7) was put in to relieve Chelich.

“I think that their offense took off and then we made some mistakes that we shouldn’t have,” Tucker said. “We still had [our] offense, but we still had to string a few hits together and score some runs.”

As the Redhawk offense began to flourish, the NCHS kept the Huskies’ offense to no more than a crawl. Leading the NCHS defense was pitcher Halle Arends (7).

“We knew that our rally would come and that’s why we stay positive in the dugout,” Arends said. “We had our rally and we made the plays on defense.”

The Huskies will continue their season this Wednesday with another DVC matchup against the Waubonsie Valley Warriors (0-11, 0-3) at 4:30 p.m.