Huskie wrestling prepares for a big season

Photo courtesy of Ryan Priess

Last year, Naperville North wrestling had one of its better seasons with strong senior leadership and talented underclassmen such as Lucas Van Poucke and Ben Kruk. Sophomores and juniors filling in for varsity throughout the year and big wins at all levels have created high expectations for this season.

Underclassmen wrestlers will be asked to contribute to varsity, even more, this year. For the freshman, competing at the high school level is going to be a lot tougher than junior high wrestling due to facing new schools, new opponents and practices being longer and tougher than they were accustomed to in junior high.

Van Poucke, now a junior, encouraged freshman to dedicate themselves in the early weeks.

“Just lean in and survive these few practices and meets. You will be fine for the rest of the season,” said Van Poucke.

Much like last season, the Huskies will be competitive in all matches. This is due in large part to having talented underclassmen wrestlers in addition to experienced senior leaders.

Domingo Ibarra, one of Naperville North’s senior captains and varsity heavyweight wrestlers, expressed a good feeling about the season ahead.

“The team is looking really good this year, I think we can count on my fellow captains as well as various underclassmen,” said Ibarra. “This bodes well for this season and the progression of the program.”

The wrestling Huskies will try and start the season off with a bang on Tuesday, November 22nd at Hinsdale Central.