The voice behind the announcements

By Multimedia Managing Editor Jakob Wastek

Every morning, at precisely 8:41 A.M, Naperville North High School students listen as the school-wide intercom rings in the morning announcements.

Meanwhile, in the student activities office, junior Ryan Boswell has already received the lineup and begins to read it to 3,500-some listeners.

Many, despite having heard Boswell’s voice frequently, would be unable to place a name to it.

“Personally, I think not being able to put a name to my face while I’m reading the announcements leaves it more anonymous,” Boswell said. “So it’s not necessarily a voice that everyone recognizes, but it’s something always in the background.”

Each year at NNHS, student activities secretary Liz Baron and student activities dean Jennifer Baumgartner select students they believe would be fitting for the position. Boswell was thrilled when Baron reached out to him, and he has been fulfilling the task ever since. On a typical morning, Boswell conducts a moment of silence, recites the pledge and then reads the announcements.

“My favorite part of doing the announcements is probably just being able to sign off because I get to add my own little touch into it,” Boswell said. “I get to add a little phrase to end off or start off the week.”

Although each morning typically runs smoothly, Boswell admitted that he stumbles upon his words every so often. He recalled the funniest moment he has had this year.

“I accidentally read two announcements in a row,” Boswell said. “I just verbally said ‘I’m so sorry, I totally just messed that up, but I’m just going to keep going.’”

Even with a large audience, Boswell doesn’t let moments like this discourage him. Instead, he uses them to spark his energy and make what he does more personal.

“It’s the fun mess-ups that I can do, get over with and make a good time out of,” Boswell said.

According to Boswell, senior Alexia Sangodeyi also reads the announcements. When Boswell and Sangodeyi graduate, the opportunity will become available for interested underclassmen.

“I’m sure that next year, there will be some underclassmen contacted about doing the announcements for the future,” Boswell said.

According to Baumgartner, there are a number of factors that determine which students will be on the loudspeaker every morning. Anyone interested is welcome into student activities for a ‘test trial.’

“Obviously they should have good projection, be clear and not talk too fast,” Baumgartner said. “We’d love to have more kids do [the announcements].”