NNHS establishes music honor society

This year, any student enrolled in a curricular music ensemble at Naperville North will have the opportunity to apply for the Tri-M Music Honor Society, according to Donald Stinson, co band director and founder of Tri-M’s NNHS chapter.

Tri-M, formerly known as Modern Music Masters, is a musical organization that prides itself on character, leadership and service, Stinson said. The music department is currently accepting applications.

TriM

“I thought it’d be a great thing to bring to our kids here at North in terms of getting them to serve the community a little bit more,” Stinson said. “It might help them think outside of the box, musically.”

According to Stinson, a panel of music directors will review each student’s application and determine their qualification based on GPA, service, leadership, an essay and a possible interview. If a student is accepted, he or she is required to give a performance upon induction.

“We’re looking for kids who would best represent our music program,” Stinson said. “But we’re also looking for some of those kids who maybe haven’t had a chance to be in an organization where they can serve and be leaders.”

Students in Tri-M will receive service hours through performances at local or school events, nursing homes and more, Stinson said.

“For music kids, its not just about performing,” Stinson said. “It’s about giving back to their community.”

Orchestra director Dana Green believes that Tri-M will also unite musically minded students in a new and beneficial way.

“This is one of the only musical organizations that we have that will bridge the gap between vocal music and instrumental music,” Green said. “It also gives students an added incentive to go beyond their current status.”

Though Green said that musical recognition can be somewhat limited in scope, he believes Tri-M will be able to effectively honor music students and their accomplishments.

Junior Christine Rogers, Tri-M applicant and vice president of band, is excited for the opportunities the organization will provide for her.

“It’d be a nice honor,” Rogers said. “I would also like having the experience with different people because it would be between band, choir and orchestra. It’ll be interesting to see the kinds of experiences we might have.”

Applications for Tri-M are due on Friday, Oct. 24.