Netflix review: “Pretty in Pink”

Jena reviews the 80’s cult classic “Pretty in Pink” in the first of our Netflix movie reviews

By Staff Writer Jena Fakroddin

Director Howard Deutch brings high school politics to the screen in the drama flick “Pretty in Pink.” This 1986 classic pays tribute to the rawest, most sacred moments of adolescent love and continues to establish its relevance by telling a story familiar to all high school students.

In the film, senior Andie Walsh (Molly Ringwald) catches prom fever – hard. Both Andie’s childhood friend, Duckie (Jon Cryer), and hotshot pretty boy, Blane McDonnagh (Andrew McCarthy), compete for her love. Blane asks Andie to Prom but buckles under the social pressure when Andie’s inferior status threatens his reputation. It all culminates when Andie discovers that love complicates, yet conquers, high school superficiality.

While this plot might lend itself to chaos, Deutch creates silent scenes that often speak louder than words. Some of the best moments are actually the quietest. This sound temperature perfectly conveys young love’s awkward innocence.

Though some of my favorite scenes from the film flirts with cliché, the movie’s classic proclamation of love perfectly captures the angst felt throughout the film. Other vulnerable moments throughout allow the audience to share in the quirkiness of other awkward, yet sentimental, adolescent confrontations. These themes will undoubtedly remain timelessly relatable to all ages.

“Pretty in Pink” also features critically dynamic characters. Social outcast Duckie becomes the champion of the “friend zone”. He is also my favorite character because he experiences the most personal growth. His captivating journey is engaging as, throughout the film, I remained unsure how he would end up.

Despite several emotional peaks, the plot line in “Pretty in Pink” suffers from a lack of depth. The story follows a cheesy, almost Disney-esque romantic comedy structure that is rather predictable. Screenwriter John Hughes does nothing to change the scenery or separate it from the basic, young-and-free storyline of his other popular movie “Sixteen Candles,” which also stars Ringwald. If it weren’t for the film’s character developments, I might have been too bored to finish it.

Regardless of redundant themes and plot, audiences of all ages will never stop watching the classic film “Pretty in Pink.” It captures the essences of love and sacrifice and accurately portrays the true nature of adolescence. “Pretty in Pink” is the perfect prom-season partner to have a solitary Netflix date with. I recommend this cult favorite to anyone who wants to sit back and revisit their teenage experience with a new cast of characters.