Time Out with Kyra Hartley

Staff Writer John Conway
Production by Jakob Wastek & Ian McCafferty

Last week, “The North Star” caught up with senior Kyra Hartley, the varsity captain of the girls water polo team. Currently, her team is ranked fourth in state. As Hartley finishes up her senior year at Naperville North, she looks to end her water polo career with a high placement at the IHSA state tournament.

Q: What is the best thing about your sport?A: I have to say, the best thing is definitely our team. We’re all really close so it makes for a really great team atmosphere. It’s awesome.

Q: What is the worst thing about your sport?

A: We have four morning practices a week so getting up early is really rough. I try to go to bed early and everything, and I drink a ton of coffee.

Q: How have you evolved as an athlete over the years?

A: Well, freshman year, I came onto the team not knowing anything about water polo, and now I am playing varsity. It’s really excited that I made that change.

Q: How far do you plan to go with your sport?

A: I’m not playing water polo in college, but I’m looking to do some intramurals with it and stuff. [I want] to continue playing it because I really love this sport.

Q: What is the most important contribution to your team?

A: I feel as though I bring a positive attitude to the team and support for everyone. I keep everyone’s confidence up with that positive attitude. I think it keeps us going in games, keeps us coming to practice, and trying hard each day.

Q: What coaches/mentors have guided you throughout the years?

A: Well, the coaches on the team are Coach McWhirter and Coach Horn. They’re the varsity coaches. But someone who’s really helped me throughout my high school season is my JV coach Walk, because she really got me into this sport, got me to love it, and I really appreciate it.