Robotics team off to a strong start

After last year’s successful season, the team takes on new challenges

By Managing Editor Katie Jenkins

Excited chatter erupted within the lecture hall as the robotics sponsors unveiled this year’s challenge. More than 70 students crowded together to brainstorm strategies and goals, eager to continue last year’s success.

After winning the regional competition, advancing to the world championships, and being named Naperville North’s club of the year, the robotics team knew that the bar had been raised. Senior Arpan Rau recognizes the difficulties ahead.

“In my opinion, [this year’s challenge] is more complex than any I’ve ever seen,” Rau said. “There are more ways to score points, but it’s definitely more team-based, which can very good or bad.”

The team must finish their robot within an intensive 45-day “build season.” By the end of this period, the robot must be able to cooperate in an alliance with two other robots. Together, the robots must toss balls across a playing field and into the corresponding goals.

This year’s challenge requires an increased amount of cooperation amongst competing teams, and members will dedicate over 20 hours each week as they tackle the complexities of the game.

Robotics sponsor Geoffrey Schmit considers this cooperation the most challenging aspect of the game.

“Last year, there was no real cooperative element at all to the game. This year’s strategy is going to be a lot more complicated,” said Schmit. “Teams are going to have to talk a lot more ahead of time and plan things a lot more ahead of time.”

After nearly doubling in size, Huskie robotics must also learn the best ways to work efficiently and effectively with many people.

“I think the greatest challenge will be managing a team this big,” said Schmit. “Last year we had 48 students I believe, and the year before that there were about 24 students. We gained a lot of visibility within the school, and we’ve had over 80 students express interest this season.”

Extra hands also bring extra opportunities. Junior Izzy Gore looks forward to the depth of talent that a larger team has to offer.

“I definitely think there is a greater diversity of talents than we’ve seen before,” Gore said. “You don’t need to know anything about robotics in order to join the team. There’s a place for everyone, and everyone is here to learn.”