Girls gymnastics edges out Wheaton Co-op at home

By Sports Writer Jennifer Fortman

On Thursday, Dec. 12, NNHS girls gymnastics took on Wheaton Co-op at home . The much-anticipated match-up ended with a Huskie victory of 137.85 to 135.45.

Junior captain Michaela Robert thought the meet went well overall, but the team still needs to work on consistency.

“It was really helpful to be on our home equipment. I think that got everyone’s confidence up, and it really showed in their performance. The beam was a little bit rough, and I need to work on my consistency. But overall I’m happy with my performance,” Robert said.

Robert believes continued focus on consistency in practice will help the team succeed later in the season.

“We need to take what happened in the meet and take those flaws and work harder in practice so it won’t happen again,” Robert said.

Robert was the top competitor for the Huskies. Other strong performers for the Huskies were sophomore Anneli Kawaoka and senior Stephanie Mueller.

Kawaoka had positive things to say about her team’s performance, but she also believes that there is room for improvement.

“Both levels did really well, but there is still a lot more room for improvement. Personally, I think I could’ve done better. I still need to work on a lot of things,” Kawaoka said.

The Huskies will be participating in the Michael Meyer Candy Cane Invite tomorrow, Saturday, Dec. 14, at Hersey High School.