Sophomore’s charity raises $3600 for Loaves & Fishes

Between school, soccer practice, homework, and spending time with family, many students find it difficult to also schedule time to give back to the community. For sophomore Nick Carballo, however, giving back is just as much a part of his routine.

Last year, Carballo founded a program called Soccer2Hope, or Soccer To Help Other People Eat. Through his program, Carballo raised $3,600 for the Loaves & Fishes Community Pantry.

“I think it’s important to give back. You should really use your talents to help others. My parents have always said, ‘a community without people giving back doesn’t work’,” Carballo said.

According to their website, Loaves & Fishes helps to provide healthy food options and groceries for families around DuPage County. The organization hosts several food drives, including the HOPE Holiday Food Drive, to collect food for families.

To help this organization, Carballo created Soccer2Hope. Soccer2Hope took place last summer, the summer between Carballo’s freshman and sophomore year. According to Carballo, the program offered a variety of soccer workshops for both group and individual sessions. Flyers were sent out and ads were placed in the Green Trails Newsletter, which brought around 30 players to the program. The only adult sponsors for the event were Carballo’s parents.

Individual training sessions, which consisted of two one-hour practices, were $20 per person. Group training sessions were also $20, for four 50 minute practices. These funds went directly to Loaves & Fishes.

Most of the lessons were held either at Surrey Ridge or Abbey Woods Park, but there was also the option of having student coaches come to a player’s local park for an additional charge.

Soccer2Hope was coached by sophomore Adam Helf, sophomore Martin Li, sophomore John Heitz, and junior Allie Svoboda, as well as Carballo. All five are also high school soccer players at NNHS. For next year, Carballo is trying to expand the program to his travel soccer team, which includes players from Neuqua Valley High School.

Carballo hopes to continue the program in the future and to continue to raise the funds for Loaves & Fishes. He also hopes to better organize the event.

“I loved that I was able to help out other people, as well as do something I like. Everyone has talents, and people should use them to help other people,” Carballo said.