Give thanks for family, not for doorbusters

Black Friday takes the meaning out of the holidays

By Staff Writer Lynn Arbid

Thanksgiving: A celebrated tradition in the United States where families join together to count their blessings and indulge in delicious food.

Black Friday: The day after Thanksgiving, known for offering extreme discounts and alluring countless shoppers.

Every year, stores open their doors a little bit earlier for Black Friday. This year, a number of stores opened as early as 4:00 PM on Thanksgiving Day. This kept many from spending time with their families just in an attempt to save a quick buck.

Many big name retail stores opened on Thanksgiving Day this year. According to the Huffington Post, Michael’s opened at 4:00 PM, Target at 8:00 PM, and Walmart’s Black Friday deals began at 6:00 PM, however the store remained open all day. Families barely had any time to finish dinner before having to run to the stores to find bargains.

While most stores have Black Friday deals all day, there are so many shoppers the majority of these deals sell out quickly. Furthermore, the biggest sales tend to be the “door-busters” or “early bird specials”. These are products that are only available during specific times, taking many away from their families.

Black Friday contradicts the exact purpose of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is about celebrating all that you already have, not going out and buying more.

Blessings are not measured in material items, but rather in love, support, and good energy. Originally, Thanksgiving was created to celebrate the good harvest, but over the years, it has evolved to mean more. It’s no longer simply a celebration of another year of food on the table, but also of friends, family, the support they provide, and life overall.  

Next year, do not make the holiday about buying things and getting the best deals. Instead, focus on what the day is meant to represent- the thanks that should be given to all that you do have.