Hunger Games series heats up

Catching Fire, the second in the Hunger Games series, more emotional than the first

By Staff Writer Shreya Narayan

This past weekend, a couple of friends and I decided to see the second movie in the Hunger Games series, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. I did not have high hopes. I agreed to go with a certain reluctance- the second installment in any series is usually lackluster. TheySe tend to stretch beyond my disappoint, ruining the reputation of the series.

Least to say, Catching Fire was not one of those sequels.

In truth, I have not read the novels. While I cannot compare the movie to the book, I felt like the plot of Catching Fire was much more interesting and emotional than the first movie, The Hunger Games. The first movie mainly showcased the physical brutality behind the events that take place within the arena, in which characters must fight each other to the death, but Catching Fire gave the audience a better understanding of the world beyond the arena.

The plot thickens when Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence, and her on-camera boyfriend, Peeta Mellark, played by Josh Hutcherson, embark on a “Victory Tour” through the 12 districts of Panem. These two are the first ever dual victors of the Hunger Games. On this journey, they discover the emotional and physical destruction that their victory has caused in the other districts. Everdeen is torn between what she wants to do and what President Snow, played by Donald Sutherland, forces her to do. While she is forced to promote her “relationship” with Mellark, she knows she should use her fame to encourage the districts to rebel and provide hope for them.

If you can’t decide whether or not you want to see the movie, let me just say, “Jennifer Lawrence.” Lawrence was enough to make me want to watch Catching Fire. She is the ideal role model, and her acting skills are perfect for the role. As an audience member, I felt her pain alongside her, and looking around the theater, there were at least seven tear-worthy moments.

If that’s not enough of an incentive, Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, who plays Gale Hawthorne, and newcomer Sam Claflin, who plays Finnick Odair, all worked together as one of the best casts I’ve seen.

Overall, I’d give Catching Fire four stars. While the plot was a great continuation of the first movie, I thought the ending to be a bit abrupt. There was about 5 minutes of post-game moments, and the movie ended with the mystery of District 12’s fate. While this may have been explained in the book, , the movie leaves this loose end untied.

Catching Fire was definitely better than The Hunger Games, especially since this installment refrains from the abrupt camera movements that made the audience almost nauseous during the first.

1
View Comments (1)