New out-of-state talent for the Huskies

Junior Baylor Griffin and senior Ashton Elston add depth to the boys varsity basketball team

Ashton 1
Senior Ashton Elston

By Staff Writer John Conway

The NNHS basketball team welcomed two new upperclassmen to its varsity ranks. Junior Baylor Griffin and senior Ashton Elston moved to NNHS from out-of-state schools within the last year, and both hope to leave positive impacts on their new team.

Prior to NNHS, the two finished the previous season as varsity starters at their old schools.

Elston came to Illinois from Indiana, where he was a point-guard at Carmel Catholic High School. He recalls his old school, and what he accomplished in his years there.

“During my time [at Carmel], we won state two times,” Elston said. “Some personal milestones I made there were Conference Player of the Week, All-Conference, and Team MVP my sophomore year.”

Elston has played basketball for the past 13 years. His family inspired him to play, and now he looks to inspire his teammates.

“I started playing basketball when I was five. My uncle and brother inspired me to start playing when I was young,” Elston said. “[Now I am] just trying to be a good teammate and help our team succeed.”

Griffin’s basketball career began at a young age as well. Like Elston, his passion has been fueled by support from his family and friends.

“I started playing basketball when I was in 3rd grade,” Griffin said. “I still don’t think I can call myself a good player yet, but I started to become better in 7th grade when I really started to focus on getting better. My parents inspired me to be an ambitious athlete. They’ve helped me every step of the way.”

Griffin’s family moved early this year from Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Griffin was not happy leaving his friends, and he did not know what to expect coming to NNHS, which is double the size of his old school.

“I was nervous about the new school, but wasn’t nervous that the [basketball] team would lack talent,” said Griffin. “That’s not what I’m about. I just enjoy the game of basketball and having fun with my teammates.”

Elston just remembers the sadness that accompanied his move, and how his new friends helped him overcome it.

“When I found out I was moving, I felt really sad and upset,” Elston said. “But I learned to get over it. I was a little nervous when I first came here, but the people and teachers were nice so it was really good. I’ve become friends with some guys on the team, and it’s been pretty good overall.”

Griffin loves being part of a team and is passionate about basketball, which he said can teach teamwork and friendship.

“I love being on a team in basketball,” Griffin said. “[I love] finding ways to win with your teammates and learning from the losses with your teammates. My high school teammates are the guys I’m going to remember for my whole life.”

When asked about team goals, Elston expressed an optimistic view for the season.

“I think we have a good chance of winning a lot of games and surprising a lot of teams this year,” Elston said. “If we come together and mesh well, we will be a dangerous team.”